What makes quince so special?
Quince offers two interesting raw materials:
- Quince wax -protects the slowly ripening fruit and also your skin. A very rarely used substance.
- Quince seed extract from the core of the fruit. It has the gift to bind moisture. As an extract soothe and smooth the skin.
Why is Quince used as an ingredient in Dr. Hauschka products?
- Quince seed extract helps your skin to retain moisture, perfect for a dry and/or dehydrated skin.
- Quince wax protectively envelops the fruit, transferring this same ability to your skin for gentle and effective protection and strengthening your skin’s natural barrier.
- Soothing and cooling, and leaves your skin soft and smooth, with the refreshing aroma of quince.
Who is Quince?
- The quince is closely related to apple and pear. It is also belongs to the rose family.
- It originates from the Middle East, from where its route into the Mediterranean area and with the help of the Romans brought it across the Alps and to the medieval monastery gardens of Europe.
- For thousands of years it has hardly been altered by growers and therefore it has retained much of its original wild fruit character.
How does quince fruit get into our products?
Organic quince from Spain are intended for juice production, however it’s a stroke of luck that Dr. Hauschka is able to get fresh press residues from an adjacent juice plant. The precious quince wax can be obtained with the aid of a particularly gentle process.
Hand processed Quince seeds
The quince seeds inside the fruit are surrounded by a slimy layer, which can absorb large quantities of water. The quince seeds are placed overnight in water, which creates a smooth, shiny texture around them. The next day, they are squeezed out by hand. This process, which was developed a long time ago by WALA/Dr. Hauschka, gently wins the valuable quince seed extract.
White to tender pink flowers blossom and from them develop small fruit, which already show the characteristic quince form and are hairy on the outside. As the ripening process progresses the bright yellow fruit give off a wonderful fresh scent.
Autumn is the season for Quince
The days are getting shorter, nature is slowly coming to rest, and it’s harvest time for quince. Here are two ways to immerse yourself in the season of quince.
- Place a bowl of quince fruit on your table to enjoy their aroma for a while.
- Then make Quince Syrup from them. Recipe below.
Quince Syrup Recipe
Quince Syrup makes a refreshing and welcome change, mixed with water or sparkling mineral water. Pour a little syrup in a cup of black tea, drizzle over a freshly baked cake or ice cream.
- 1 kg fresh quince fruit
- 1 litre water
- 250g sugar
- juice of a lemon
Rub off the furry coating from the quince and wash. You can process the quinces with the shell and core casing, remove only the stem and the flower neck. Finely chop and bring to the boil with water. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes at low heat. Pour through a sieve and press as much of the pulp as possible. Then pour again through a fine sieve or muslin cloth so that the juice is as clear as possible.
Now let the juice boil with sugar and the squeezed lemon for about 10 minutes. Fill into sterilised bottles and close immediately.
Dr. Hauschka and Quince
Our formulas are always complex compositions of carefully coordinated ingredients. For Quince Day Cream we use hero ingredients, quince wax and quince seed extract as well as precious oils, waxes and medicinal plant extracts.
Quince in our products
Dr. Hauschka Quality
- Authentic 100% natural and/or organic skin care and make-up, certified to NATRUE standards
- Free from synthetic chemical fragrances, dyes and preservatives
- Free from mineral oils, parabens, silicone and PEGs
- Dermatologically tested for sensitive skin
- Wherever possible, all raw materials come from controlled organic or biodynamic (Demeter certified) cultivation and are recovered under fair conditions
- We do not test on animals
Join our eNewsletter for skin and make-up tips, promotions, new products and giveaways