Tips from internationally renowned Dr. Hauschka makeup artist Karim Sattar
Before Dr. Hauschka makeup artist Karim Sattar picks up his brush, he looks deep into your eyes. “I determine the colour nuances of the iris and select Eyeshadows, Eyeliner and Mascara to match. In my line of work, ‘match’ means ‘correspond,’ not the same colour.
In the same way that I would not put a green picture in a green frame, I prefer to surround the eyes with complementary shades. It is this contrast that makes your eyes shine brighter.”
Tip 1. Choose Eyeshadows based on eye colour
Blue eyes love Eyeshadows with orange pigments: shades of gold, sand or brown. Green eyes look particularly beautiful when highlighted by red pigments: colours such as lilac or pink. Brown eyes are wonderfully uncomplicated: as brown contains all colours, all Eyeshadow colours match brilliantly.
Tip 2. Co-ordinate your Eyeshadows and your outfit
Skilfully applied eye make-up should correspond to a striking accessory rather than your clothing. For example, it should reflect the colour of a piece of jewellery, a handbag or pair of shoes.
Tip 3. Eyeshadows for people who wear glasses
Glasses on people who are near-sighted always make their eyes look slightly smaller. Bright, shimmering shades are therefore ideal as they widen the gaze. The cut of the lenses for far-sightedness makes the eyes look larger. If desired, this can be counteracted using matte, dark shades
Tip 4. Eyeshadows for drooping eyelids
Make-up can also be applied to drooping eyelids. However, the crease should be kept dark as darker areas stand out less. On the other hand, a lighter shade should be selected for the upper lid and inner corner of the eye. The eye make-up should also be rounded off by applying white Kajal to the inner rim of the bottom eyelid.
Tip 5. Use Eyeshadows to optimise proportions
If your eyes are positioned closely together, the illusion of a wider gap can be created by simply applying lighter shades to the inner corner of the eye and darker ones to the outer corner. If your eyes are further apart, apply the Eyeshadows the other way round: darker shades on the inner corner of the eye and lighter shades on the outer edges visually draw the eyes together.
Tip 6. Combine Eyeshadows and Eyeliner
For particularly intense, long-lasting colour, use a brush to dab a little Eyeliner onto your eyelid and smudge it in before applying a suitably coloured Eyeshadow to the lid as usual.
Tip 7. Use Eyeshadows instead of Eyeliner
Instead of using Eyeliner, the lower eyelid can be highlighted using an Eyeshadow. This creates soft lines and smooth transitions to the lower lashes.
Tip 8. For the perfect finish
Dr. Hauschka Eyeshadows come in two different textures: Eyeshadow Solos combine colour with silky shine, while the four shades in the Eyeshadow Palette are designed to be matte, making them also ideal for eyebrows.
For deep colours with a shimmering finish, first apply one of the shades from the Eyeshadow Palette (e.g. 04 anthracite). Next, use the same brush to apply a little Eyeshadow Solo (in this case 04 taupe) to give the look a bit more sparkle.
Dr. Hauschka Quality
Truly natural and organic cosmetics, certified to NATRUE and/or BDIH standards
Free from chemical/synthetic fragrances, dyes and preservatives
Free from mineral oils, parabens, silicone and PEG
Dermatologically tested for sensitive skin
Wherever possible, all raw materials come from controlled organic or biodynamic (Demeter certified) cultivation and are recovered under fair conditions
We don’t test on animals, we test on happy to help out human volunteers
Dr. Hauschka International Make-up Artist, Karim Sattar’s Extended Eyeliner Tips
Extended eyeliner can be tricky to achieve, so follow these simple steps for a dramatic look.
1) Sketch your line out first with Eyeliner Pencil 05 Black
2) Apply Liquid Liner Black over the pencil line and fill in as well
3) Apply Light Taupe* Eyeshadow to the crease
4) Dab a little Vanilla* Eyeshadow underneath to enhance the extended eye liner
5) Set the extended eyeliner by carefully pressing the Darkest Brown* for lasting power
6) Apply Volumising Mascara Black
7) Karim has used Rouge Powder Terracotta 04 on the ‘apples’ of her cheeks
8) A soft lip compliments such strong eye make-up, Karim has used Novum Nature Shimmer 04. Karim says this lip colour is one of his favourites “Adds natural shimmer and a sheer wash of freshly kissed colour!”
* Eye shadow colours are from our Eye Shadow Palette.
Our model’s skin was prepped first by Karim with Dr. Hauschka Foundation and Translucent Powder.
Solutions: Have your colour matching professionally done in store, but always check in daylight not under store lights. Don’t use the back of your hand to check colour, use your jaw line. Alternatively follow Dr. Hauschka International Make-up Artist, Karim Sattar’s Top Application Tips & Tricks Video. I find a Foundation Blending Brush works well to ensure colour blends onto neck.
Tip: You’ll find Dr. Hauschka NEW Foundations much easier to colour match. If you need more warm tones in summer just add a little Translucent Bronzing Tint to your Foundation.
Translucent tip: You can also mix Foundation with your Dr. Hauschka Moisturiser for a translucent look or apply with a moist sponge.
For everything you need to know about our NEW Foundations, click here >
2) Dark lipliner with lighter lipstick
Solution: Ensure your lipliner matches your lipstick. Karim Sattar, Dr. Hauschka International Make-up Artist, recommends applying lip liner all over the lips simply because lipstick comes off and liner stays put and outlined lips are not what you’re looking for.
3) Blush that looks like racing stripes or no blush at all
Solution: Smile and apply blush lightly to the ‘apples’ of your cheeks. Always use a big Powder/Blusher Brush which is better at distributing colour, shake off excess, then apply. Your aim is to get subtle colour in your cheeks, think of a child’s cheeks. We often see a flat make-up, with no blusher or bronzer. It’s important for a youthful make-up to add the colour back in after applying Foundation and Powder.
4) Applying too much powder
Powder is important to set your Foundation for a longer lasting make-up, however, it looks caked if too much is used.
Solution: Use a large Powder Brush, tap off excess, then apply downwards to smooth down fine hairs. Finish with a spritz of Dr. Hauschka Toner which takes away a powdery look and also helps to set your make-up.
5) Applying Make-up too soon after Moisturiser
Or applying make-up to skin that hasn’t been cleansed, toned and moisturised.
Solution: Wait while your day care product absorbs into the skin. I do my morning regime of Cleansing Cream, Toner and Moisturiser then have breakfast and get dressed so my skin care has plenty of time to absorb. The aim is to apply your make-up evenly on clean, nourished and protected skin.
6) Clumpy Eyelashes
Never pump your mascara which forces air into the tube and dries out the formula.
Solution: Dr. Hauschka Mascara and Volume Mascara are made with nourishing ingredients such as Candelilla Wax, precious Damask Rose Blossom Wax and Beeswax. Remember all mascaras, natural and organic or otherwise should be replaced every 3 months. Pop a reminder in your phone when you purchase a new mascara for 3 months time.
Tip: Karim Sattar our International Make-up Artist recommends using a softer colour than black on bottom lashes, because you don’t want to enhance anything downward for a youthful make-up. Try Pearl Anthracite or Aubergine Volume Mascara, or Brown Mascara.
7) Eyeliner lines
Keep it softer during the day, apply eyeliner pencil to the outer 1/3rd and blend inwards, then set with eye shadow and an angled brush. Anthracite is a soft black which is flattering for a day time make-up.
Since 1967 Dr. Hauschka has been devoted to creating skin care formulations from Nature. Our efficacy is based on our unique skin care philosophy, unique rhythmic process and the highest quality natural ingredients with a preference for biodynamic, organic or responsibly wild harvested sources. The result: healthy, balanced, strengthened and radiant skin!
Dr. Hauschka Quality – Truly natural and organic skin care and make-up, certified to NATRUE and/or BDIH standards
– Free from synthetic fragrances, dyes and preservatives
– Free from mineral oils, parabens, silicone, phthalates and PEG
– Dermatologically tested for sensitive skin
– We do not test on animals, we test on happy to help out human volunteers
– Wherever possible, all raw materials come from controlled organic or biodynamic/Demeter cultivation and are recovered under fair conditions
1) Concealer Dark circles can make your eyes appear smaller. Choose your Dr. Hauschka Concealer shade slightly lighter than your skin to brighten and correct any blue tones.
Tip: Apply Concealer to the inner eye only, wait a moment for it to absorb then blend, don’t apply to outer area where it’s likely to sit in any fine lines which will enhance them.
2) Liquid Eyeliner
Apply Dr. Hauschka Liquid Liner Black close as possible to your upper lash line, with a tiny flick at the end. This makes your lashes look thicker.
Eyelash curlers are a must then Dr. Hauschka Volumising Mascara Black on top lashes, apply in a zig zag fashion to build volume. Try a softer colour on lower lashes such as Aubergine or Anthracite (soft black).
4) Eyeliner Pencil
Eyeliner Pencil on the water line can make your eyes look much smaller. Colour the waterline with a white pencil to instantly open and brighten eyes.
5) Define the Crease Use matte eye shadow, our Eye Shadow Palette is perfect, and ensure you apply from the outer corners towards the inner, apply with a brush and blend.
Dab light colour under brows, such as Eye Shadow Solo 09, centre of lids and particularly to the inner corner where there is a natural valley and shadow beside the nose, this helps to make eyes look wide awake.
7) Brows Brows really frame your eye, get them professionally shaped and tinted. Eye Shadow Palette our multi tasking product works well for brows, apply colour with an angled brush. For additional brow grooming use a smidgen of Eye Balm to hold hairs close to the skin.
Tips from Karim Sattar, Dr. Hauschka International Make-up Artist
1) Don’t use black mascara on bottom lashes, too harsh and downward for the longer bottom lashes which adds years, you want your make-up to be uplifting
Do use softer colour mascara on your lower lashes
We recommend soft black Pearl Anthracite Volume Mascara, pretty Aubergine Volume Mascara, Blue or Brown Mascara for lower lashes. Try using a different colour from black for your Kajal Eye Pencil too. We love Aqua as a complementary colour for enhancing brown eyes, Brown for enhancing blue/green eyes or try Anthracite Kajal Eye Pencil for a softer black.
2) Don’t use glittery eye shadow
Do use matte eye shadow
As we get older a matte eye shadow is much more flattering. Always apply light colours in the natural valley at the inner corner of the eye by your nose and always apply your crease colour from outwards to inwards, not the other way around. Perfect choice is Dr. Hauschka’s Eye Shadow Palette of matte colours.
3) Don’t overdo powder
Do powder in a downwards direction as you don’t want to enhance your facial hair, and set by misting Toner, which also gives a more natural look to your make-up.
In general use less make-up as you get older. You don’t want powder sitting in creases. Apply foundation with a foundation blender brush for an ‘airbrushed’ finish and tap your powder brush to remove excess powder and apply downwards.
Apply a little of your blusher colour to underneath the brow which gives an instant uplift to your look, taking off years.
To achieve a more translucent make-up, mix Foundation with your Dr. Hauschka Moisturiser.
3. Remember Body Care, Hand and Nail Care and Foot Care too, especially if you’re wearing strappy shoes with heels on show. Moisturising is key and once you use Dr. Hauschka Body Moisturisers it’s hard to accept anything of lesser quality. Natural and organic ingredients are just as important for your body. We love Quince Body Moisturiser for its cooling, soothing and deeply hydrating qualities, Lemon Lemongrass Vitalising Body Moisturising for its refreshing and energising aroma and After Sun is another of our summer time favourites. For a mature bride then choose Regenerating Body Cream for its firming and toning as well as deeply nourishing abilities.
If your feet are dry, particularly check your heels, use Hydrating Foot Cream, however if you have feet with a tendency to perspire then use Deodorising Foot Cream. Hand Cream and Neem Nail Oil Pen are a must.
4. Kissable lips with regular use of Lip Care Stick or Lip Balm.
5. Clean your make-up brushes weekly to avoid acne causing bacteria and to ensure true colours. Always clean your brushes in an ecological gentle hand wash or body wash and dry flat not upstanding. As for pimples always have Coverstick on hand for concealing and treating, incredible product!
6. Get your beauty sleep.
7. Regular exercise, 30 minutes daily in the fresh air will do. Movement supports your body’s lymph system.
9. It’s really important to reduce stress. If you’re not already then meditate daily, do yoga, tai chi, read a great book, spend time with great friends, whatever it takes, as stress shows on your face.
10. We want your skin looking radiant for your big day. Ideally you need to be taking extra special care of your skin 1 year out, however if you don’t have that amount of time adopt these skin care rituals as soon as possible. A healthy, balanced, vibrant skin comes from using the highest quality natural and organic ingredients, not synthetic chemicals.
1) Dr. Hauschka every morning ritual: Cleanse, Tone or use Intensive Treatment & Moisturise
2) Dr. Hauschka every evening ritual: Cleanse, Tone or use 1 ampoule of Conditioner, or Intensive Treatment
3) Once a week, maybe a Sunday night, Cleanse, Clarifying Steam Bath, Clarifying Clay Mask and follow with Revitalising Mask which benefits all skin conditions
4) Another night of the week Cleanse early in the evening, apply Revitalising Mask and include eye contour area, leave to absorb for as long as possible and remove with a warm, moist cloth prior to bedtime
Tip: We recommend Soothing Intensive Treatment morning and evening instead of Toner one month out from wedding for hypersensitive skin or a skin suffering from any stress condition.
Dr. Hauschka’s International Make-up Artist Karim Sattar’s Radiance Make-up is also a beautiful bridal make-up, check it out here…
10 Wedding Make-up Tips
1. Do your brow, upper lip and any other facial waxing at least 3 days before the wedding
2. Avoid products that use SPF, they tend to give very pale look in photographs
3. Use a matte moisturiser on the day, Melissa Day Cream has a very matte finish and helps to control shine or Rose Day Cream Light
4. For a long lasting make-up go for our International Make-up Artist, Karim Sattar’s technique of:
a) Translucent Make-up 00 as a primer
b) Concealer, inner eye only, not outer eye
c) Translucent Powder Loose, applied with Powder Brush and tapped to remove excess before applying
d) Translucent Make-up in your shade, always apply with a foundation blender brush for that ‘air-brushed’ look
e) Translucent Powder again, applied with Powder Brush and tapped before applying. Think less is more, you don’t want a caked look.
5. Blusher and Bronzer is a must.
6. Take it easy on the shimmer. Highlight on cheek bones and/or brow bone is flattering but too much shimmer doesn’t photograph well
7. Set your lipstick with Karim’s technique:
a) Apply Lipliner over the entire lip area, don’t do outlines
b) Apply Lipstick
c) ‘Kiss’ a tissue to remove excess
d) Apply Translucent Powder Loose with the powder puff
e) Apply Lipstick again
f) Apply a dap of Rose or Cherry Gloss mid bottom lip
8. Consider false lashes rather than mascara for the big day. Individual lashes are more natural looking, but always trial before the wedding day
9. Have a Translucent Powder Compact with you for touch-ups. Oily shine doesn’t photograph well, you need to keep skin matte
10. Keep in mind if you’re wearing white you will need enough colour happening in your make-up to compensate for the whiteness of your dress. Always do a trial run of your make-up wearing white, tee shirt will do, prior to the day.